Saturday, June 20, 2009

Egg Tart

My cousin sent me couple of pie moulds. With these moulds, I’ve been thinking of two recipes in my “to do list”. They are fruit pie and egg tart! I decided to make egg tart first as it is easier than fruit pie! :P Definitely I will keep my promise to bake the fruit tart soon…


There are 2 types of egg tart, the normal egg tart and Portuguese egg tart. I like both of them. Today I will try on normal egg tart first. Well, the outlook of the egg tarts were good BUT sad to say, the taste is not really good. I don’t think I’ve succeeded this time. The filling was too thin and there was not much taste. I wasn’t sure if I had added too much milk into the filling or ???. In addition, the pastry was too dry. I think I shouldn’t have substituted the butter with olive oil.


I baked 2 batches of egg tarts because there were too much leftovers of the fillings, bringing the total of my baking to 26 pieces. For the first batch, I used olive oil for the pastry (failure). For the second batch I used olive spread instead. Well, the pastry turned out better than the first batch. The egg filling was still the same though. Frankly, they were not the best egg tarts but I think they were good enough for my first trial! “ah hem” (*o*)


By the way, Gim Theng, thank you so much for the moulds and those paper cups that you sent to me. I really enjoy having them for my baking.


First batch


Second batch





Ingredients (pastry)

150g of flour
2 tbsp of corn flour
2 tsp of sugar
1 egg yolk
100g of butter1
1/4 tsp of salt



What to do

1) Put flour, corn flour, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix well.
2) Rub butter lightly into the flour until mixture resembles bread crumbs
3) Add in egg yolk to form a dough. Chill the dough for an hour
4) Press dough thinly into tarts mould and leave it aside to prepare the custard


Ingredients (Egg filling)

4 eggs
100g of sugar
280ml of fresh milk
2 tsp of custard flour or corn flour
1/2 tsp of vanilla


What to do

1) Pre-heat oven to 325 degree
2) Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl until well blended
3) Strain it and set a side
4) Stir the mixture again and pour into tart shells about 95% full
5) Bake the tarts for 20 min or until custard is set


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails