Saturday, March 21, 2009

Roti Canai

I wanna make something different (not western breakfast) for hubby. I had come out with this simple and easy breakfast which is “Roti Canai”. Of course I didn’t make the roti myself but I bought the ready made “Roti Flakey” from Asian grocery shop. = P

When I was in Malaysia, my dad used to buy this breakfast for my little brother. He loves roti canai so much. He likes to sprinkle some sugar on top of the roti. The roti should dip with curry, right? But it really taste good with the combinatio!!! Hubby doesn’t like sugar, so I had made him some dhal to dip with. It is a simple dhal recipe from the internet but I had modified it to suite myself.

For the roti, according to the instruction on the package, it needs to be pan fried. I used my own method though. I baked it in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees. Same outcome…delicious!!! = )

Drained the lentils
Fry onion and garlic in butter


“Roti Flakey”



Here's my roti canai breakfast!!!



Recipe for Dhal

Ingredients

50g dried lentils (soaked overnight in plenty of cold water)
240ml water, add more as needed
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
½ garlic clove, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp butter or ghee
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp curry powder
2 tsp Coconut milk powder
Salt, to taste

What to do

(1) Cook lentils in water until soft.
(2) Fry onion and garlic in butter or ghee until soft & golden.
(3) Mix ground turmeric and curry powder together in a small bowl, add coconut milk to make a thick paste (add a bit at a time....will take more than you expect).
(4) Add the above mixture into onions & garlic and stir fry, until aromas are fully developed.
(5) Add the cooked drained lentils, salt to taste and simmer gently for a few minutes, until warmed through. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails