Thursday, February 26, 2009

Honey Buns

This bun is one of the recipes in my “To Do List”. I wrote down my baking recipe in my cooking book (actually is in my computer). For bun / bread, I planned to start with those simple and easy ones and slowly get into the difficult and complicated ones. I found this recipe from Happy Home Baking. The ingredients and ways of making it are very simple!

My dough turned out quite sticky, I think I had mixed in the wrong amount of milk. So I had added an extra 1tbsp of bread flour. The dough was still sticky though. I dare not to add more bread flour as I was worried that it would stuff up the taste. I made the dough in the morning before I left to work. After I came back from work, the dough was still little bit sticky so it is hard for me to roll into ball shape for baking. The only way was to dust my hand with some flour so that I can hold the dough and shape it. Hmmm…at last I managed to shape them into ball size. Well, some of them were not round enough though. = P











This is my “Honey Bun”…it was soft and fluffy! Yum yum! Now, I really love homemade bun which you can taste it freshly and HOT! I like to eat it hot after it came out from the oven. I will definitely try on others homemade bun in the coming days. = )


Ingredients (makes 9 buns)

300g bread flour
4g (about 2/3 tsp) salt
4g (1 tsp) instant yeast
1 egg lightly beaten plus enough milk to make 200g
50g honey
30g unsalted butter


What to do


(1) Place all ingredients except the butter in the pan of the bread machine (according to the sequence as stated in the instruction manual of your bread machine). Select the Dough function of the bread machine and press start. After about 8mins of kneading (the ingredients should form a smooth dough by now, otherwise add in 1 tablespoon of bread flour if the mixture seems very wet), add in the 30g of butter. Let the machine continue to knead the dough. After the kneading cycle has stopped (20mins), Stop and Restart the machine. Continue to let the machine knead for another 10mins.


(2) Stop the machine and remove dough from the bread pan. Shape the dough into a smooth round and place in a lightly greased mixing bowl , cover bowl with cling wrap and let it rise till double in volume for about 60 ~ 90 mins.

(3) Remove dough and give a few lights kneading on a lightly floured work surface. Press out the trapped air as your knead. Divide into 9 equal portions and shape them into rounds. Cover with cling wrap; let the dough rest for 10mins.


(4) Flatten each dough into a round disc and press out the trapped air. Shape and roll into a smooth round ball.

(5) Place dough seam side down on a 20cm by 20cm square baking tray (lightly greased with oil or butter or line it with parchment paper). Loosely cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap and let dough proof for 45 ~ 60 mins or until double in size.


(6) When ready to bake, brush the surface of the dough with milk. Bake at preheated oven at 200 degC for about 15 ~ 20 mins until the bread is golden brown all over. Cover the surface with a sheet of aluminum foil if the surface browns too quickly. Remove from oven, unmold immediately and let cool on wire rack.

Recipe taken from Happy Home Baking


Note: I use hand to knead the dough as I do not have the bread machine. I had separated the dough into 2 baking pans as 9 doughs couldn’t fit in one pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails