Thursday, October 1, 2009

Classic Sponge Cake

I was craving for something light hence I decided to bake this fluffy sponge cake. This recipe was taken from the recipe book that I borrowed from the library 2 weeks ago. It is just timely for me to use it!

Now I would like to present you my Classic Sponge Cake… tada!!!



I’ve sprinkled some almond flakes and icing sugar on top of the cake to make it look better. (*o*) Actually the original recipe cut the cake into half and put some jam and whipped cream as the filling. I’ve omitted these steps as I just wanted some plain sponge cake. If you like to have some sweet and creamy cake, you may do so.



Ingredients

75g plain flour
150g self raising flour
4 eggs
180g castor sugar
2tbsp boiling water
whipping cream, whipped (optional)
Jam, for filling (optional)


What to do

(1) Preheat the oven t0 180 degree. Lightly grease two deep 22cm (8½ inch) round cake tins and line the bases with baking paper. Dust the tins lightly with a little extra flour, shaking off the excess.

(2) Sift the flours three times onto baking paper. Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl with electric beaters for 7 minutes or until thick and pale.

(3) Gradually add the sugar to the eggs, beating well after each addition. Using a metal spoon, fold in the sifted flour and boiling water. Spread evenly into the prepared tins and bake for 25 minutes, or until each sponge is lightly golden and shrinks slightly from the side of he tin.

(4) Leave the sponges in their tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Slice cake in half and fill with whipped cream and jam, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails